What is more comforting than cheese on toast? This oozy rendition of the classic cheese and beer sauce on toast uses ingredients that are all available in the Marben Market.
This recipe will make a nice jar-ful that can be kept in the fridge, spread on toast and broiled, or even in a next-level grilled cheese.
- 50g unsalted butter
- 65g organic light bread flour
- 60g Smooth Branston pickle
- 140g Collective Arts porter
- 454g/1lb aged cheddar, grated
- 40g whole milk
- Sourdough – to make cheese on toast or a grilled cheese sandwich
- Start by combining the branston pickle, porter and milk in a bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the flour to make a roux and stir together until smooth.
- Gradually add the liquid to the roux over the heat while whisking. The result should be a smooth paste. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the grated cheese. Stir well until all the cheese has melted. Be careful not to have the heat too high or the cheese fat will separate.
- The rarebit is now ready to make a grilled cheese, spread on toast or even toss with macaroni. Alternatively, store it in a container and place in the fridge until you get peckish. It’ll keep for around a month if stored properly.